Sunday, December 11, 2011

Finally have a minute or two to update you....

I survived my first semester of nursing school. While that may seem trite, I think about those students with much younger brains who didn't make it to second semester. And I'm sad for them.  One of my group didn't make it and when she told me she was dropping, I felt like someone died. I wasn't that far behind them as my pharmacology didn't come up as I planned. I made it by .5 for the C. C's are different in nursing school. Mine start at 83 and go to 78. Anything below that range is a D. My other classes I did fine: How to be a nurse 101- B; and Intro to Nursing- A. Toward the last of it, I was getting ready for the head-to-toe assessment, going through clinicals, and getting ready for finals.
I learned a lot during clinicals. Clinicals are great because you have someone to hold your hand just starting out. I was able to connect to most patients, but was even asked to leave another patient's room. Apparently, she thought I talked too much. I remember asking her one question....oh, well. I took it kind of hard at first, but then realized she was in a lot of pain. Many people came and went in her room. She may not have been able to discern that it wasn't me talking. Anyway, lesson learned. Comatose patient: Don't ask anything. Just wait until they are up and oriented. Other than that one experience, it was really good. I was able to give one patient a bath and she had all the good humor that I hope to have approaching  her age. Another patient was  staring death down, and she had this great attitude. Again, I hope I'm like that.  

Other things I learned included what type of learner I am. Apparently, I'm a visual/active learner. Having tried the auditory route, and massive note taking route, I think I'm better going through the chapters myself, and creating my own visual cues. I studied with several classmates, and shared my notes with them. I got the reputation of being really smart, even though none of that was true. I can make these fantastic notes which apparently helped others make A's but for myself, it just didn't happen. Reeks, doesn't it? A re-evaluation of my study methods are definitely in order.

Another thing I have come up against is feeling responsible for helping others study. I know, I know, how crazy is that, right Even the night before finals, I had someone wanting to study with me. She had not studied as she should (neither had I) and was expecting a miracle. The miracle never came, even until 2:00 AM when I had to shut my eyes for a little while. I got up at 5  AM to go over the stuff I didn't have time to go over while she was there. I passed by the skin of my teeth, .5. That's a little too close. If I had failed that course, I would've had to repeat it next semester. I've got to find the balance of being willing to help when I can, but not feeling it's my responsibility to make sure they pass. It is, however, my job to make sure I pass. Any study methods you can pass along would be great! I have a month before the roller coaster starts up again, and with four classes, 12 hour clinicals, I need to figure this out.....SOON!

1 comment:

  1. Take a deep breath and remember in the end all the money and sacrifice you put into school will only matter for you! If you don't take the time to learn the material for yourself not too many others will sacrifice their own time for you. It's a harsh reality but after the second semester starts you'll learn more about the others who "need" or rely on your help and you'll figure out if you want to continue helping them.
    I think the best piece of advice I can give you after completing my second semester is to TRY to READ the expected readings BEFORE lecture. This will be your first look over of the material. Next hear it again in class and this is your second look over of the material. Lastly before exams try to look over it all again for your third look over if you can. Also for drugs, try to make tables that highlight the important stuff like side effects and interactions with other drugs.
    Find a strong study buddy if you must study with someone else, but make sure they're getting the A's otherwise you'll be spinning your wheels with anything less. Try to find someone else who learns similar to you visual/active and make flow charts or stand up and walk around to help you learn the info in action.
    Keep your chin up! This was the most difficult semester for me so far and I passed my 7 credit class with a c+ yikes huh? Take care.

    ReplyDelete