Sunday, June 24, 2012

Experience is the best teacher

Or so they say, whomever they is....I took my clinical adviser 's advice and got a job as a CNA this summer. It was probably the best thing I ever did for my education. I keep my assessment skills up, and am able to make a buck or two. Not saying where as I don't wish to get into any trouble, but it's a good fit. I'm working 40 hours a week until school starts back up in 7 weeks. Then, I hope they can still use me part-time.
My instructor mentioned to me that working with patients is probably what I need to build my confidence, and she was correct, (as much as I hate to admit it).  Initially, I started pretty green but have been steadily  gaining confidence by using my assessment skills, and getting a feel for what patients go through to be taken care of by nurses.
I'm also looking at this opportunity to see through the eyes of a CNA . It's been tiring but great. And it keeps the goal in front of me ....that nursing is what I want to do.

4 comments:

  1. I'm also precepting this summer. Damn but I wish I get paid instead of the other way around! lol I totally agree with you, the stuff you learn is greater than the measly 6 hour clinicals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gertie! Our school did away with six hour clinicals. We are there for 12 hours!

      Delete
  2. I seriously thought about doing that this summer as this was the #1 piece of advice I got from a 4th semester, but I decided to wait until next summer. Although I'm not sure how that's going to work out seeing as next summer I have to do my externship. But I don't think that's the whole summer. Good for you for doing it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to do my preceptorship this coming semester, the final 5 weeks. Don't know if I can work and do that, too.

      Delete