Wednesday, June 29, 2011

That butterfly feeling

"When you find your path, you must not be afraid. You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way."
Paulo Coelho

Every time I start thinking about what this August is going to hold, I get physically sick on my stomach. Seriously. Like I did when I was pregnant with all three boys. I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or not. In my heart of hearts, I think I believe it is normal, but it's really freaking me out.

In a former life, I was an on-air personality at a well-respected, top 40 radio station. When I first started, I was really nervous, but eventually I got to the place that I could be talking to you in my studio, ask you to "hold that thought" , and go into my spiel. When the weather, or commercial was over, I could pick up exactly where I left off. My oldest brother was in the control room when I did this once, and he was amazed. My question is: is it like that in nursing school where you can get over the butterflies and do what you need to do without being scared to death?
Have any of you nursing students felt that way? And when did it get easier?

3 comments:

  1. Well let me first start off by saying that it is normal to have butterflies in your tummy regarding nursing school, we all did or do. You have to look at it like you can't just memorize and spit it back out on a test. You need to remember what you're learning to recall later on in your career. And that can be daunting, but it is possible to do it. I keep thinking to myself that hundreds of people like you and me are graduating semester after semester from nursing school, so we can too right?
    I've only completed one semester so far of nursing school and while it was difficult it became predictable (well the in-class stuff did), outside of the classroom especially the clinicals will be okay because you're a student nurse not the actual nurse so you can always step back at any time and say you don't get it or don't understand. Everyone should be there to help you succeed, so rely on your instructors for help when you get stuck and your classmates to cement everything you're learning into your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so nervous when I took my Anatomy and Physiology lab that my hands were shaking the first day. I was nervous when nursing school started but calmed down after we started taking tests and I did well. I still get nervous before clinicals though, because book-learning is much easier for me than putting it all together in the service of patient care.
    --Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Beth!

    You'll do awesome. Seriously. If I can do it, anyone can. :) Keep us posted!

    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete